Thursday, November 4, 2010

A little trivia about me

Let me see if I can share some interesting tidbits with you.
  • If I go back to the time when I was a nine year old, struggling Irish step dancer in the Bronx, I can still hear my then best friend's father saying, "Come on now, Kelly. Kick that leg higher. Straighten that back. Watch my Peggy. She'll show you how it is done." I didn't have that whole dance competition drive in me. I was usually thinking about the cookies staring at me from their dining room table. By the way, you should have seen Peggy's legs. They were solid, strong, and muscular. If she was a wrestler, she could make anyone submit with a leg hold. When we played kickball as girls, I would duck when she kicked the ball. I'm all into that self-preservation thing. That powerful kick would've knocked me right off my feet and probably into the street. My weak legs probably exasperated her dad when we practiced dancing. She was a stallion in Irish dance. I was maybe a mule? You know, it's funny that a mule came to mind. I feel like a mule around here when I'm carrying things all day. Now if I could be a mule with great legs...

  • I miss my one of a kind Uncle Bob who would call me Annie and tell us stories of his adventures as a NYC taxicab driver. One time, he had a particularly abrasive woman who complained about his driving, the cab, the weather, etc. Now my Uncle Bob used to also get into a brawl or two in his younger days and still had that fire in his belly as she pushed and pushed at him. During this long, long ride with this not so friendly passenger, my Uncle stopped on the side of the Brooklyn Bridge and said, "Listen lady. Either we can get through this ride quickly and quietly or you can get out and walk this bridge to wherever." Well, she did quiet down and I think she gave him a good tip too.

  • When I was sixteen and looking for work, I couldn't get hired at McDonald's. I had to go 45 minutes away by bus to get my first job for $3.35 an hour working at a supermarket in a rich neighborhood. That little bit of Uncle Bob would grumble within me when I had some of those complaining ladies at my register. You should have seen the glares that I would get when I struggled to remember a produce code for the register. That was before scanners and I had a little book to use for reference. I was apologetic, but some of those ladies had no problem letting me know that I was wasting their time. That experience always reminds me to be patient in stores and remember that most store employees are really trying their best.

  • I started taking French classes at 7 years old. Loved French from then on and through college. I have to make time to brush up on those rusty skills. My son is taking Italian now and does very well. I'm happy to see that he shares my love for languages.

  • When Jillian was born, she was an instant screamer. When the hospital pediatrician came in to check on her in my room, he handed the baby to my husband because the screaming was too intense. Jillian continued to scream with my husband until I hobbled out of the bathroom still labor-weary, and she quieted down. At her christening, she also screamed so loud that I had to go into that closed off "keep the kids quiet" room and nurse her. The deacon who was officiating just gave me that look which says, "I can't go on with this disruption. Do something." When Jillian gets mad at her brothers, that high pitch scream can resurface. The boys get all dramatic and say things like, "Geez, can she stop being so loud?" I tease them and say, "Remember to keep the women in your life happy, or you'll hear it." My son said back to me once, "I'm staying a bachelor."

31 comments:

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Good Morning Sweetie...
What a precious share this beautiful Fall morning. I absolutely loved the little tidbits you have shared. Especially the son that is going to stay a bachelor. Remind him of that some day.

I so enjoyed the ride with Uncle Bob. Aren't memories wonderful. I love that I have a whole book shelf and I can reach up and pull down a book of memories any day that I wish, any time that I wish.

Have a gorgeous Thursday my friend. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

Lisa said...

Love your tidbits :) Every Sunday at church we sit in the "keep your kids quiet room" with Silas. But we call it the penalty box. I took French all through high school and wish I still remembered all of it! I used to dream in french occaisionally. I hate that I took french but have never made it to france...someday right?

bel said...

If she was a wrestler, she could make anyone submit with a leg hold. When we played kickball as girls, I would duck when she kicked the ball.

I love your description of Peggy's legs!

Thank you for sharing your tidbits!!

Vicky said...

These are great! My oldest is the screamer... and there are times I am taken back to those long days of colicky crying just by one of his outbursts. Uncle Bob sounds like a hoot, would love to hear more of his stories!!

Caroline said...

Oh I loved reading this... What great lessons you have learned (esp. the grocery store). And good advice you gave your sons...lol. Yes, keep the women in your life happy!!!

Kim said...

Funny about your son. I worked at McDonald's when I was 15 and I think like you it has been what has kept me conscious of how we treat Customer service people.

Jillian sounds like a riot. It's good for all those guys to have such a strong feminine presence around to keep them in line:)

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

It was a pleasure to read your post, love the little bits you wrote.

Take care.
Yvonne.

Unknown said...

It's fun to see how family traits get passed down through the generations...who does Jillian get the screaming from? :-)

Unknown said...

So nice to read these fun little facts about you! How cool that you grew up in NYC - someday I will get there for a visit;o) And, I would love to learn a foreign language, they fascinate me.

T Rex Mom said...

So where's Peggy today? I need to stay clear.

And Uncle Bob sounds like quite the character.

My sister lied about her age so she could get her first job. Now she lies about her age but in a different manner!

And WOW on the screaming. Good advise to the boys.

Mari said...

That was fun to read. I'm no dancer either. My legs are strong enough, but I'm kind of a klutz! Loved reading about Jillian!

Debbie said...

Your Uncle Bob sounds wonderful! Everyone should grow up with someone like him around.

Jenners said...

This was fascinating. You should write some more about your life like this. Uncle Bob sounds like he is worth at least a post or two.

Analisa said...

My favorite tibit was the grocery store. I too have been on the other side of the register. I rarely ever complain for that reason.:) Nice memories thanks for sharing

Diane said...

What an interesting life so far. Love your daughter's pitch and your son's reaction. :O)

Valerie said...

Brilliant reading. It was a treat to read all the anecdotes but I particularly liked the one about your Uncle Bob. I could almost hear him saying 'Listen Lady....'

Unknown said...

I love the Art down the side of your blog. And I love the voice that I hear when I read you stuff - somehow, I don't 'hear' mine - I hear what I imagine must be yours. And it's sweet, warm and gentle.

Gerri said...

Thanks for the insight. My first job, I made $3.45 an hour!!! Wow, we've come a long way. ;)

Becca said...

Thanks for sharing this little background info with us! Too funny with Jillian! Your son is adorable saying that he is going to be a bachelor. You have a great bunch of kids!

Betty Manousos said...

Love the little bits you wrote.
I really enjoyed this post, Kelly.
Your uncle Bob sounds so awesome!

B xx

Angela said...

Loved this! Isn't it nice to be able to pull up memories of our loved ones from our childhood? I find I do that often with my grandma. The being patient with cashiers; yes, I've been their too, both in sales and working at Mc Donalds as a teenager. It has taught me a great appreciation for the job they do.

I have a screamer in this house too, although mine comes in the form of a 30 lb,five-year old boy. I don't know how such an ear-piercing sound can come out of that tiny guy. :)

glnroz said...

Thanks, that was a nice view..lol

Susan Fobes said...

The bachelor comment has me rolling! The funny thing around our house it that my son is the high pitched screamer-and loud! I liked reading about your past Kelly, and I hope things are going well...

Robyn Campbell said...

Dang, Peggy's legs. They were TREMENDOUSLY strong. :) YIKES!

I laughed at your son's bachelor comment. Too funny. I feel like I know your family, Kelly.

Oh, and I had an uncle Bobby. The stories I could tell. hehe

Michelle said...

I love that your son knows what a bachelor is. Cracks me up.

And ohhh the Irish Dance. I'm so jealous - I always wanted to do that growing up but never got to. I wanted Little Miss to do it, too - until I learned about the $3k wigs and saw how UNgirly she was!

Creativity said...

:) :) This Post Refreshed My Mind :) :)

Mandy said...

Those were great snippets about you and the kids. LOVED THEM KELLY! Esp the comment from your son about staying a bachelor. that's hilarious!

I think it's soo cool that you were an Irish step dancer even if you don't think you were very good! I think you should challenge yourself to write a poem in part-French or Italian (get your son to help you!) Try giving yourself this little poetic challenge when you need to escape from being a mule!

Big hugs to you! I hope you have a great day.

Beverley Baird said...

What great snippets of your life! I loved reading and learning more about you. You write so well about all those stories - I can just imagine being there!
Thanks so much for stopping by! I have been remiss lately in not getting around as much or even posting as much. I feel tired out.
take care!

Deborah said...

I really loved reading this, it gives a real feel of parts of your life and was wonderful to share in them :o)

Jenny said...

French-studying, Irish dancing...that was fun! Love this!

Colette S said...

I love reading this :)

I wish I knew French. I love languages.