- "How many days until summer vacation?" They are thrilled to hear my answer: 176 days.
- "Mom, the teacher gave me another list for supplies." I'm hunting all around town for the oddest supply requests. I find myself sitting in bed thinking about potential school supply sites. You would think that I'm looking for my "dealer" considering how much this quest is taking up my waking hours.
- "Did you give me a turkey sandwich again?" I ask, "What else would you like?" My son's response is "I don't know." I ask, "Do you want to buy lunch?" "No, I don't like anything." My response, "Here is the turkey sandwich. Eat it quick and enjoy it." I'm saying this 10 minutes before running to the bus stop. When he gets home I ask, "Did you like your turkey sandwich?" He replies, "It was fine." The next day, the whole lunch discussion kicks in again. Am I in that old movie where Bill Murray lives the same moments over and over again?
- "Mom, I don't want to wake up. I can get ready in 10 minutes." My response, "Sorry Mr. 8th grader but you need 30 minutes to become somewhat human."
- "Mom, can you believe that they gave me a whole chapter to read for social studies?" In my mind, I'm thinking, "I promise that your eyes won't fall out from reading more than one paragraph. I pray that you retain most of it before you start watching the sports news."
- "Mom, the girls are so "yap yap" in my class." My second grade son makes this astute observation. I'm sure that my husband is thinking to himself, "Get used to it."
- "Mom, can I schedule my own homework time?" With this particular son, I would be in trouble if I let him do his own time management. He is the king procrastinator. I should stand next to him with a whistle and say, "Give me 20 sentences." Too bad that I don't have that intimidating stare of some celebrity trainers.
- Guess who said this one: "Mommy, the brothers are gone! Does the bus have to bring them back?"
Thursday, September 16, 2010
What the Kids Are Saying During This First Week of School
Is it Friday yet? It feels like the longest week.