- In the jury room prior to be selected for a panel, the clerk announced that only people who have vacation plans in the next 3 weeks can ask to be excused from consideration for this criminal case. Half of the jury room stood up and begged to be relieved. I was afraid that my guilty conscience would turn my face beet red if I told a fib about going on a week long Aruba trip.
- "Kelly, don't sneeze. Hold it. Where is that tissue?" A seriously quiet, packed courtroom is not a welcoming venue for a sneeze. I was afraid that I would belt out a truly unladylike one right at a crucial moment of testimony.
- "Every eye is staring at me. Can the court officer please escort me into the jury area?" The jury would assemble uncomfortably close to the gathering spot for both sides' families. I stared at the floor and counted the tiles.
- "Shift a little to the left and hide that stomach gurgle." Happened way too many times.
- "I can't believe that I don't get a cookie." I loved getting my huge chocolate chip cookie with my free lunch during those deliberation days. One day, they switched lunch places. I was sad to see my brown bag was cookie free on one of those intense deliberation days. You know how much I needed that cookie during all that drama!
- After one emotional day, I thought that I must have been some washed out sight to all those jurors. Forget about makeup at that point. I looked like I was slicing onions.
- Please never ask me to do another word search. I have had my fill.
- Attorneys love to repeat themselves over and over and over again. By 3 PM, I could anticipate each follow up question.
- Who would think that I could become a texting addict? When they took away my phone on each deliberation day, I craved the chance to text my kids to see how everyone was doing. I was always hoping that none of the boys were being pinned in some convoluted wrestling hold. Jillian would report on their antics when I returned.
Wednesday, March 9, 2011
My mind, how it can roam...
Since I unloaded my serious side on you in my last post, I think it's time to share the lighter side of my jury duty. You all know that I couldn't help but make some observations to help make a funny blog post for you :) Look what was going on in my little mind as I sat and sat and sat.