Monday, October 26, 2009

In case you were wondering...

Here are a few updates:

My first grader and his classroom: My usually sweet Joe is still acting up a lot at home. He cries easily, and fights everything. My mother's intuition tells me that he's not happy in his daily classroom experience. He is getting all his work done, but he's way too tense for a 6 year old. I try to find out about his day from him. He really doesn't give me much information. At his age, he should be happier in his day. I expect mood swings from my 12 year old!

I'm still hearing reports about the teacher being very rule-oriented. I hear that many parents complained about her lack of nurturing last year. I also heard that she is great at helping the kids with their reading and writing skills, but I don't think the kids should feel pressure and stress as they try to reach those goals. As class mom this year, I'm hoping to get a better sense of the classroom environment when I visit the class for parties and special activities. I think I'm also going to try and take Joe on a special one on one day with me. Maybe he'll relax and open up more with me about what is upsetting him.

Block tension: Gratefully, we have not had any confrontations or altercations with that older boy lately. It is still tense for me with his mother when we run into each other. You should see how fast she zooms by me in her truck. When she's coming, I tell the kids to stay close to me. I try to wave hello when she goes by. I don't think she'll ever turn her head in my direction :) She drives by me a little too aggressively. After a year of bullying, I'm glad that my son at least has some peace on the block. Hopefully, things will cool down someday. I'm really not a fan of confrontation and tension.

Kelly's romper room: Well, we're almost done with month two of babysitting my 3 year old nephew as my sister goes to school. You would laugh to see Jillian acting like a little wife all day. She'll say these kind of things to her cousin: "Clean up your stuff in my room." or "Why do you always put your shoes in my way?" or "You want to watch too much TV." Overall, it's a day filled with activity, little tantrums, giggles and singing. One of these days, I'm going to take a picture of myself after surviving an especially hectic day with the two of them. I must be a sight for sure!

Why does gray hair love me?: Sorry to say that gray is still trying to overtake my head. I want to get it colored at a salon, but money is tight so I'm holding off for now. Maybe I'll start wearing fashionable hats? I think a Yankee hat would be a great idea!! Yankee fever is here in my house:)

By the time I get an Ipod... I can remember to buy socks, underwear, hockey pucks, (I live with boys who love hockey), but I seem to forget to get my longed for Ipod. When the Santa of my house gets home, I think I'll have to tattoo "Wife needs Ipod" to his forehead :)

Well, that's all I have to report for now. This week, I'm up to my ears in school Halloween craft projects. We painted a pumpkin green to look like Franklin, the turtle. When I think about it, I did get some hair color this weekend. Jillian accidentally hit my crazy curls with green paint. Maybe it's time for me to go punk :) Back to the romper room!

Enjoy your Monday!

20 comments:

Dan Felstead said...

Great recap of a life! Sounds very hectic and I hope that someday soon this lady on your block will get a grip! As far as the gray hair...do like me and just go with the flow! However, I realize that for some reason it is easier for a guy to say that than a woman...I don't agree but I think that is the way it is in our culture!

Dan

He & Me + 3 said...

I love reading random catch up posts. I am so gray too. Hair color and hats are my best friends. Good luck with all the Halloween crafts...those are always fun. Love that you call it romper room.

Becca said...

I am so glad that you updated us. I had been wondering how things were going with your son and the neighbor situation. I certainly hope that he starts opening up to you soon. Jillian cracks me up. She is going to be the boss of her house one day!

Cole Walter Mellon said...

You're right, 6 years old is too young to be stressing about anything.

And as for the gray hair... hey, embrace it. You've earned it.

T Rex Mom said...

Whew - you sound busy!

I am sad to hear the classroom stuff and neighborhood stuff is going on. Eventually, it will pass. Hang in there.

I would love to see some photos of those Halloween projects.

And Jillian is going to miss having someone to boss around!

Analisa said...

Wow you are busy. I will say a prayer for Joe. You are right he should not be so stressed. Do you have a routine with him when he gets home? Maybe a snack and cuddle? Knowing he has something to look forward to may help. I know with two other little ones it may be hard. Maybe you can include them on the make Joe feel good/welcome home project.

Analisa said...

Oh and I am also glad to hear there have been no other incidents with the neighbor and her son. It is good that you are still waving to her and speak. It it always better to be on the high road in life.

lislynn said...

I've been toying with the idea of doing some hair color, myself.... Let us know how it goes!

Joanne said...

What a great opportunity for you to observe your son's class, as class mother. Could he still be adjusting to a new teacher, new grade? And I give you a lot of credit for waving hello to your neighbor ... kudos to you for trying to keep the peace the best you can!

kisatrtle said...

punk? Oh yes! I think it is time.

Kitten said...

Every time I look in the mirror, there's another grey hair. They multiply worse than rabbits.

rachel... said...

It seems like a teacher to 6 year olds should be a lot more nurturing. I hope you get to the bottom of your son's stress soon.

And I regularly babysit 3 adn 5 year old sisters in addition to my own kids that are here all day, too. I KNOW HECTIC!

Good luck with that iPod!

Susan Fobes said...

Maybe it's just a stage with your son. My son (same age) has started doing similiar things. If any of us does something he doesn't like he starts winding up for a tantrum and he has been pretty mild mannered since he was three!

Mine is doing well in school and I like his teacher so I'm like you when it comes to the reasoning. (Stress?) This past week was awful because he was up about twice each night with nightmares a couple nights and no reason on the others. (This week is better-knock on wood!) Going into your son's classroom will definitely give you more information.

btw: I am glad you liked Landslide the other day. I had a tough week and a disappointing weekend and I often turn to this song when I'm having a pity party :(

LisaLisa said...

So true he is to young to be stressing about anything....this is the time in his life where he should be having fun at his age.I agree sitting in the classroom will allow you to find a solution to what may be causing him stress. Great post!

Caitlin said...

I'm sorry to hear about Joe's stress. That is concerning to be sure- doesn't seem like it would be normal for his age, so something must be causing it.
Glad that things on your block are calming down a bit. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here on out!

Creativity said...

Enjoyed Reading This Post Dear :) :) All Your Little One's Are Cute & Intelligent Guys :) :)
Love & Hugs :) :)

Aspen Real Life said...

Wow, crazy curls, in our forties, a daughter named Jillian, boys, a love for art and writing, seems to me that I found another friend by social networking.

Thought you would enjoy this post I wrote about boys and teachers http://www.isdisnormal.com/2009/08/31/sports-boys/

Glad to find you and love your descriptions!

Jenners said...

I think your game plan of one-on-one time with Mom sounds good ... I hope you can get to the bottom of what is bothering him. It probably is school.

And you are a SAINT for doing that for your sister. I hope she appreciates it!

And my whole head is gray ... it is the in thing!

And uh oh ... we may have a problem. I'm in Phillies country. Luckily, I don't care all that much about it. ; )

Glad to hear there is peace on the block. May it last!

Michelle said...

You are busy busy busy! Here's hoping things start going better for Joe. If he's stressed and unhappy with school now, it will only get worse as he gets older unfortunately. Fingers crossed you find the solution there soon. And ummm no home coloring? some of them are pretty decent now, I've heard!

christy rose said...

I think being a class mom for your son is a great idea! Keep him lifted to the Lord and trust him to His keeping!!! Sometimes kids really honestly do not know what is going on inside of them. And, trying to get them to talk frustrates them. But most of the time, it comes out eventually on their own initiative. His heart is in God's hands and He will not let go. Joy will soon return at the proper level! It really does make a momma's heart happy to see her children happy, doesn't it? Just think how it must make our Heavenly Father happy to see us happy!! :)