Saturday, May 16, 2009

Monday at my house

My dear friend, Kim, over at The Child, asked that I write a post about my typical day as a NY mom. Here is how Monday goes at my house.

6:00 a.m. My husband and I wake up. We wake up our 12 year old son. Grumbling, he goes off to the shower.

6:15 a.m. I make breakfast for my husband. Nothing too complicated, cheerios, banana, toast and juice. I get the lunches ready for my two oldest sons.

6:30 a.m My husband heads for the shower. I'll probably iron a shirt for him. My other two boys usually wake up by now. I'll make them waffles. That's all they will eat in the morning.

6:45 a.m. I'll give my oldest son something for breakfast. It can vary depending on what he wants. Lately, he will pick something out for himself. I just make sure that it's something decent.

7:00 a.m. I pack my oldest son's lunch in his backpack. Check to see if there are any school papers that need to be signed. He forgets to tell me the night before.

7:10 a.m. My oldest son goes up the block to the school bus. Another mom walks along to make sure that the older boys get on the bus.

7:15 a.m. Time to check in with my second son. He moves along slowly in the morning. He is a picky eater so I'll ask him if he wants more food. The kitchen is always open around here.

7:30 a.m. I'll check my second son's backpack to see if it has everything. Maybe I'll quiz him in case he has a test. I'll make sure he brushes his teeth.

7:45 a.m. We pack into the van to go to the bus stop or possibly we'll walk. It all depends on whether my three year old is cooperative about walking:)

8:00 a.m. My second son jumps on the bus. We return home to play and do kindergarten homework.

8:30 a.m. I'll probably have a little breakfast and maybe post on my blog.

9 a.m. - 11 a.m. housework, outside play, laundry, reading to the kids, maybe run errands

11:15 a.m. I'll give my kindergartner lunch and check his backpack.

11:45 a.m. We leave to bring my kindergartner to the bus stop. He gets on at noon.

12:15 p.m. - 2:10 p.m. more housework, laundry, hopefully lunch, supermarket, play time with my 3 year old daughter

2:20 p.m. Watch as my oldest son gets off the bus and walks down the block.

3:00 Pick up my second son from the bus.

3:30 Pick up my third son from the bus.

3:45 - 4:15 homework and snack time, check blogs

4:30-6:00 We're at the soccer field for practice.

6:30 - 7:00 Some kind of dinner.

7:15 p.m. possibly more homework, studying

7:30 showers and baths

8:00 bed time for the younger ones, reading and cuddling

8:30 older ones have to end any video game/play time and get ready for bed

9:00 older ones are in bed

9:15-11 p.m. I'm cleaning up the house, doing the dishes, folding laundry, doing paperwork.

11:30 I crash into bed and read my book until midnight.

Midnight - hopefully I'm asleep:)

Sorry that was so long!!!

17 comments:

The Write Girl said...

Hi Septembermom,

What a long day...I am shocked that you get your older sons in bed by 9pm. My hat goes off to you!!

Kim said...

OMG!! Next time I feel sorry for myself because I have so much to do - I will remember you Kelly! How do you get so much done in each day. You are an example to behold and I can't believe you are able to fit creativity in every day. Thank you for sharing a day in the life with all of us. I had no idea how much running around it was with four kids. What a wonderful mom and wife you are. Your crew sure are lucky to have you!

Cole Walter Mellon said...

Wow, I'm tired just reading about it. I will tell you that it gets easier as the kids get older (at least until you have to put them behind the wheel of a car... yikes!).

Go take a nap!

H.K. said...

No wonder you're so tired at the end of the day! That is a busy day!

Dani said...

Wow! Hats off to you! I'm busy with my hands full of a baby and toddler to chase, but I don't keep things scheduled like this. I think school does that for you. I'm sure summer schedules are much different. What are you going to do when school's out?

Michelle said...

Yikes! You get less sleep than I do. How do you survive? I love that you do the kindergarten homework in the am. When Mister Man has something leftover from daycare (his kindergarten) to do, we'll work on it after Little Miss gets on the bus in the am. I'm glad to see you at least get all your meals in! :)

Joanne said...

It definitely gets easier as they get older, but in the meantime, it looks like you've got your day pretty well scheduled, which seems like it helps get everything done. Have a restful weekend!

shabby girl said...

Whew! I remember what it was like to have little ones in the house and what it took to make it all work!
You are awesome! Have a happy weekend!

Unknown said...

I love your blog header so much! It is so pretty. Your day sounds crazy busy. I can't even imagine managing 4 children...and a husband : ). I am totally with you on the reading part. I could read FOREVER!

Becca said...

Sounds like you have yourself busy, busy days! I got to give it to you, 6:00? I am not worth anything before 8:30-9:00! What an awesome momma!

Creativity said...

OMG!! U ve a tight Schedule :-o Take Care :)

Valerie said...

I only had one child to look after. Although I'm an organised sort of person I dread to think how I would have coped with four, or three, or two....

Judy Croome | @judy_croome said...

You're living proof that the more one has to do, the more one gets done!! And you still get time to read...!!?!?! :):)

CDB said...

I love that blogging gets time put into the schedule, right next to "homework". (: Very nice!

Jenners said...

Well now your previous post about lack of romance totally makes 100% sense!!! I'm tired just reading about your Monday.

Ana - The Writer Today said...

I think you need more to do, this is just not enough! LOL God bless you!!!

Gerri said...

WOW!!!!!!!You rock!