Saturday, April 4, 2009

Singing in the rain

Remember how I started off my week with a house full of loud, rambunctious kids? Yesterday, my mommy spirit was rejuvenated after having a wonderful, peaceful few minutes with my daughter. The rain was coming down in buckets at times during yesterday afternoon. During one of those downpours, I was sitting in the minivan with my little girl while we waited to go in to my son's school for a parent/teacher conference. With the rain dancing on the roof of the van, we decided to sing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" together. Our day is usually filled with all sorts of noise and chaos, but for these few moments, it was just our voices filling the air with this sweet song. Here is a quick poem about our time together.

Bright eyes shine looking up at me.
Little voice smiles with mine.
Song words float in the quiet.
Hearts connect in a moment.

With kids running around, it is hard to find time to sit and just "be" with your child. I need to try and have these quiet, one on one moments with each of my children. Those would be the times that can heal my tired Mommy soul and refresh my Mommy spirit. It will be good to schedule some peaceful downtime in between all the fun and activity of my busy household. Now my next task is trying to figure out how to fit some peaceful moments into an already full activity schedule :) Maybe, I'll let the dishes sit longer or the laundry stay unfolded. My kids are growing too fast. I need to cherish every moment I can. Enjoy your Saturday!

14 comments:

Sara Moriarty said...

I can so relate to this. It is difficult for me to find balance between spending quality time with my children and doing the other things that I need/want to do. I have always been envious of the parents who look so present with their children. A friend of mine thinks that this mindfulness becomes more difficult when you have a personal goal or dream that is so closely related to your soul and being. An artist, author, etc.

hope you have a great weekend with many cherished moments.

Kim said...

That you recognized that time with your daughter for what it was is the real gift I think. Your children are lucky that their mother who by all accounts could be justifiably too busy to think about such soulful things does anyway! Have a great saturday.

Gerri said...

Connection in the moment is what it is all about! :)

CDB said...

I always get so, so much out of reading your blog.. if only I could make mine so thoughtful and emotion-provoking! I love sharing in this quiet moment with you two. And it's a great reminder to enjoy my moments while it's just my ONE toddler now!!

Adlibby said...

Exactly! I struggle to find those moments with my girls in my chaotic house. But when I do... they are golden and they certainly refresh the soul! Nice post.

T Rex Mom said...

Great poem capturing a great moment. And I, too, need to put the chores on the back burner a little more often and just be.

Dani said...

Thanks for sharing this. So often we find ourselves caught up in the hardships of being mommies. But it's wonderful to get a reminder of what all our hard work truly is about. Love your little poem.

Joanne said...

Lovely poem ... Those quiet moments together, connected, mean so much. I've always had moments like that with my children, and still do, when we take walks. Something about being away from the phone, chores, obligations, frees up our selves to just "be" together.

Michelle said...

Yes yes yes! Leave those clothes unfolded. That shelf undusted. Spend time with your kids (and make me feel better about my housekeeping skills) ;) Love the poem!

Unknown said...

I feel that! Sometimes I wish I could give up some of my free time to have my kids little again for a day. :)

Judith Ellis said...

I so appreciate these words as I relate them to my mom and the loved she showed each of us, 12 all by "the man she loved next to God," though he was mostly not there. Sometimes I would knock softly at her door in the very early morning hours after needing to speak with her, having waited my turn throughout the day. She would always say, "Come in. I'm up" in the sweetest voice. Many times she would indeed be up as I would hear her moments before calling our names one by one in prayer. Thank you for your words.

Amanda said...

The time that our sons and daughters are children is fleeting. The housework will wait - they won't. Lovely little poem too. :-)

Creativity said...

Beautiful Post :) I really Loved it:) Thanks a lot for sharing:)

Anonymous said...

beautiful poem and thought!
i try to take advantage of having just one child and taking him all in...it's hard though. i am lucky with one (for right now) and we do have a lot of one on one time. i need to remember to cherish it more!