Saturday, June 8, 2013

Dad's handwriting

I found my Dad's high school notebook today. I forgot that I tucked it away behind my door with all my other bags of stuff.  Today was the day that I decided to go through all that stuff to consolidate and organize. How nice it was for me to see my Dad's beautiful handwriting flowing across the pages of a marble notebook from the 1950's.

I see so much of Dad in me. Students and searchers. In his notebook, he wrote out favorite poems and sayings that touched him in some way.  Seeing my father having a natural fondness for Keats, Milton, and Kipling made me feel an even stronger connection with him.

For the past 12 years since his death, I will sometimes find myself trying to relive a moment of Dad's embrace as I sit alone at home, in church, or in my van.  Today, I felt his embrace fully and my heart feels more directed and complete, at least for now. Thanks Dad.

8 comments:

Valerie said...

My father was a carpenter and I still have some of the furniture he made for me, the wonderful desk and stool, the needlework box, the pencil box, and a tall stand for a radio which is a replica of our garden bird bath. These things constantly bring him into my thoughts and make me feel good.

Good to see you back in Blogland, Kelly.

T Rex Mom said...

My aunt just recently passed and I miss her hugs most of all. I believe I, too, will be looking for those moments of reliving her embrace.

Kim said...

Oh Kel, what a beautiful treasure this must be for you. He sounds wonderful just like you my friend.

Gerri said...

What a wonderful remembrance! I have saved a few things with my fathers handwrighting...it was unique and total him. I have always felt my dad and I were kindred spirits. I get that you feel the same from what you wrote. Thanks for sharing Kelly. Glad to see you back blogging my friend :) Maybe I will have to follow your lead ;)

kisatrtle said...

So awesome... Nothing like feeling hugged

Dan Felstead said...

Septembermom....I had to comment on hou beautiful post. I too have those memories of my Dad....he was a draftsman and had perfect printing. As fate would have it earlier today, I was just looking at my Dad's printing. He had written down a family recipe and it was almost like having him here again! Thanks for the reminder!

Dan

Teresha Freckleton-Petite said...

lovely! Isn't it amazing grace how we find the support we need where were weren't looking?

This Crazy Thing Called Motherhood said...

My dad died 4 years ago and I still try to feel the security and warmth of his hand holding mine. I miss holding his hand and getting his wonderful bear hugs. If I really concentrate, sometimes I can still feel it.

I just recently lost my cousin (who was also my best friend for most of my life) and I feel her around me sometimes, laughing at me for some brainless moment I had or encouraging me when I feel low. I love how my brain will play back her laughter.

I am glad you are able to still have those moments have 12 years.