Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Hey, what's going on in Room 10 during religion class?

Between bites of toast, I need to tell you about my latest craziness.  I teach religion class on Tuesday afternoons to a bunch of rambunctious and enthusiastic 4th graders.  Needless to say, they have figured out that I have a playful side.  No scary discipline threats from me.  So you can imagine the kind of freestyle learning happening at times.  I think my out of the box style is helping them enjoy religion class more though. 

Anyway, here's a visual for you.  I decide that I'm going to show them the wild side of John the Baptist in an impromptu performance.  Once I get started teaching, I often turn into a drama queen.  Hopefully, they got my point from my little act.  Maybe there is a frustrated actress fighting to get out of me. Who would think that a shy little girl from the Bronx would all of a sudden want a little spotlight?

Better go finish that toast.  Jillian needs her school clothes. That bus is coming!

14 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

When mine was still at school I was always doing many things at a time.

Thanks for coming by, I have come to the conclusion "Enough is Enough" regarding my son, I have tried repeatedly until there is no more to do. He knows where I am should he need me bit oh how I miss the grandchildren. I will get on with my life, have a well earned holiday coming along.

Take care Kelly
Yvonne.

Akum said...

Its never too late to do something new. You should give it a try, maybe we might get to see you in the oscars. :)

Valerie said...

Wow, Kelly, I just left you reading all my posts... grins. Thank you for all your lovely comments and compliments.

I wish I could attend one of your religion classes and watch you perform. You might end up teaching me things I didn't know.

Mari said...

Too funny! I think they probably remember what you are teaching them - very memorable!

Vicky said...

Its like bible study come to life! The funnier, sometimes the more they experience the words- not just hear them or read them! Good for you - would love to see this in a vlog!

T Rex Mom said...

I would love to attend your class. My brother-in-law is in charge of confirmation teaching. That's an interesting age group! Good luck. I know you are doing great things for the youth.

Unknown said...

Sounds like you have a wild side too Kelly! It sounds like the students and you are both having fun in your class. :-)

Gail Dixon said...

Those kids are blessed to have you for their teacher. Hopefully you don't have any wild ones that take advantage of your sweet, playful nature. Can't wait to hear how your performance goes over. Are you going to have fake locusts as props? lol

Randi said...

Well now I know who to hit up for Sunday School ideas! I was laughing, thinking of you portraying John the Baptist in the wilderness. I'd love to sit in on your classes--I'll bet you are a great teacher!

#1Nana said...

Perhaps you should write a post on John the Baptist's wild side. i didn't know he had one!

Ken Devine said...

Hope you didn't lose your head:) Wish I could have seen you.

Gerri said...

Sounds like fun for you and them!

Jenners said...

I so wish I could sneak in and watch your class!! I taught religion to 1st graders when I was in high school and things often got very out of control. I remember once being the donkey that Mary and Joseph rode in on to get to the manger and each kid road on my back. So so silly!

Kim said...

I'll bet you're the best thing to happen to those kids! Oh how I wish someone had made religion fun in our schools!