If I take a minute to think about it, I bet that I can come up with some of their best tuning-out methods. Let's pretend to go inside those male heads and guess what they may be saying to themselves when I make a request or bring up a conversation topic.
- "If I nod my head a couple of times and raise my eyebrows, she may think that I get what she's saying."
- "I'll pretend to sleep."
- "I better look like I'm at an intense stage of my video game. Maybe she'll think that I'm concentrating on winning a level or something."
- "If I say what? a lot of times, she'll probably get one of my brothers to do it."
- "Honey, I need to go to the bathroom."
- "Just keep turning up the volume on the TV."
- "Maybe I should tell Mom that Jillian is calling her."
- "I could pretend that Mom is speaking Portuguese. I think that's what Dad does."