Sunday, January 3, 2010

Sunday Citar

"La Carmencita" - John Singer Sargent

The new year can be a true awakening for the body, mind, and spirit. I chose one of my favorite Theodore Roethke's poems for today's Sunday Citar with Fresh Mommy. To me, Roethke celebrates this human decision to participate in our own "waking" of self. I love the energy and liberty suggested by Sargent's painting. Let's dance into the new year and "take the lively air" (as Roethke's so beautifully asks). Happy Sunday everyone!



"The Waking"
by Theodore Roethke

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I have to go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree; but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me, so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.


25 comments:

Maggie said...

Absolutely beautiful.

Naqvee said...

wonderful.

Warren Baldwin said...

Good selection for a new year.

kisatrtle said...

simply wonderful

He & Me + 3 said...

Awesome. Great choice for the New Year.

Unknown said...

As always I LOVE your picture and the poem that coincides with it is just PERFECT! Wishing you a new year filled with lots of wonderful-ness : )

Susan Fobes said...

"We think by feeling..." So true!

Kelly L said...

I like it - thanks for sharing.
Love,
kelly

Randi said...

I love the simplicity of "I learn by going where I have to go." Somehow I need to say that in such a way that my son will want to go back to school tomorrow. Hmm.

The painting is perfect. She makes me want to go do a flamenco!

I meant to say this earlier but I love the new Chagall and Manet!

Anonymous said...

Oh my this is beautiful and the painting is a perfect marriage for this piece. I think a "Waking" is certainly in order and long overdue.

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

Beautiful! BOTH! I also loved what I read about the history with Carmencita HERE (all before he painted the two paintings of her). Fascinating!!

Happy Sunday Citar!

~Shaye

Flory said...

Great pairing! "...learn by going where I have to go." This sums it up for me. Have a great week! :)

Michelle said...

Wow, that is an absolutely gorgeous poem. I've never heard it before, but I lvoe it. I'm reading that one again!

T Rex Mom said...

Happy Sunday and Happy New Year - looking forward to another year of reading your blog.

Caroline said...

Just wonderful! Wishing you a beautiful week.

LisaLisa said...

Truly beautiful! Wishing you a wonderful New Year!

Judith Ellis said...

Simply beautiful! Thanks, Kelly!

Beth Kephart said...

I used to read this to the kids when I was teaching villanelles. LOVE it.

Unknown said...

Hope your new year's dance has all the passion and knowledge you deserve!

Tabitha Blue said...

I second Kaishon, you always have the most beautiful photos and inspiring quotes that go right along with them!! I'm so glad for your post!

Kringle said...

What beauty... amidst a day of pain following a hospital stay, your blog brings beauty!
Thank you
Kringle

The Write Girl said...

Thanks for the inspiring poetry and painting...hope your New Year is amazing Septembermom.

Doctor FTSE said...

It's a "villanelle". Strict form. 19 lines. Strict rhyme scheme, Takes a lot of crafting, so you don't see many. Another villanelle, possibly better known in the UK is Dylan Thomas's "Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night"

Very attractive blog. Best wishes

Jenners said...

I love the repeated lines!!! Wonderful!

Gerri said...

Happy New Year my friend. :)