Friday, June 5, 2009

Friday High Five


My sweet, little 3 year old likes to scream spontaneously lately. You should have heard her this morning at 8 a.m. The two older boys were off to school. My 6 year old son and I were sitting on the couch when my darling daughter walked up and demanded that I tell one of my "mouse" stories. For the past few months, I've been making up spur of the moment adventure stories about a mouse family. It's all improvised and usually done while driving or killing time in the van. I've probably told about 40 of these stories. Usually, she'll go with wherever my imagination takes us. Today, she made a request for a specific story. I couldn't remember this story at all. My son was clueless about this one too. I tried to "rewrite" it for her with a new twist. My daughter was not thrilled with my attempts to interest her in a new mouse adventure. Feisty and mad, she stormed around the house and wouldn't stop her screaming for what seemed like 20 minutes. I think it was around 5 minutes. My ears are still ringing.

Playing along with Angela for "Friday High Five", over at Angela's Adventures and Minor Mishaps, here are the 5 ways we tried to quiet the little hurricane this morning:
  1. Singing songs from "Cinderella" - usually will bring a smile
  2. Offering her favorite crackers - food works for her brothers
  3. Mommy tries to hide - her screams followed
  4. What about this funny book? - "This is not the mouse story!!"
  5. Handy Manny is on! - All is quiet, hooray it worked!
I have to start writing down my mouse stories. Apparently, my daughter's memory is too good; mine needs some fine tuning!

Happy Friday!

22 comments:

Nori Duran said...

Lol! I have one of those at home too. She just screams and screams and screams. Thing with her is that nothing calms her down. She'll stop when she feels ready. So if she wants to cry for 30 minutes, then that's what we'll have. I wish Mr. Handy Manny worked his magic over here.

I also had a complain type post on my blog today. Its one of those days I guess lmao!! Have a great Friday =)

Wendy said...

that is kind of funny that she remembered that particular story! she must have really liked that one! yes, it does sound like you need to start writing them down or recording them!

Unknown said...

All I can say is that it doesn't get better. They turn into teens and then instead of screaming, it is the stereo. {*grin*}

Our son was a screamer for a couple of years - no rhyme or reason, just sit and scream. Just as suddenly, everything was fine and the smiles returned.

kisatrtle said...

Not a good way to wake up! I like the new look of your blog

Heather said...

Oh no! Definitely start writing down the mouse stories. Who knows? Maybe you'll start a new series of children's books?

Joanne said...

At least one of your methods eventually worked! Seems like a good idea to write them down. Maybe she can add pictures you cut out from magazines, pasting them on the pages too, make her part of the process!

Creativity said...

lol!!!! hey, Come up with mouse stories on ur blog too!!!!!!!!

Dani said...

Wow! Your stories must be really good! ...Or that specific one I mean! :) Heehee

T Rex Mom said...

WOW, she really likes those stories! I am glad you're writing them down. She'll probably love reading them when she's old enough to read. Spontaneous stories are the best!

shabby girl said...

You could try sharing some of them here! I wish you a quiet weekend. :)

Mari said...

That is funny! You have something in common with my hubby. He used to entertain my nieces with stories of a mouse named Pedro!

Lucia said...

What is it with mice? Walt Disney knew what he was doing..and apparently so do you! Your daughter sounds like my eldest lil drama queen!

Michelle said...

Oh, I hate it when the wee ones remember something better than I do. Fortunately, Mister Man is usually pretty good about being talked into retelling or explaining things for me. If only it were that easy for you. Here's hoping your ears stop ringing soon!

Jenners said...

Although I realize it was probably quite painful, I think you got something with these mouse stories!!! Write them down! If a small child wants to hear them so much that nothing but Handy Manny will work, then you've got a winner! Cute post!

Hyacynth said...

That must have been one heckofa story. Maybe you should pen children's books!? I'm curious now.

Warren Baldwin said...

Save those mouse stories ... you have a children's book in the making.

Banteringblonde said...

I hear ya on the screaming.... we are right there with you!!

Beth Kephart said...

oh my gosh, this is one of your funniest posts of all time. I could picture it all so clearly.

the truly talented are penalized—all the time—for their spur of the moment mouse genius.

:)

Quoyle said...

You could be the next JK Rowling in the mouse adventures genre! Hmmm, well, we'll have to wait.

Have a quiet weekend!

Anonymous said...

Cute story about the mouse adventures! what mom's won't do to entertain their kids!!

Kringle said...

I would document every precious moment and I thank you for sharing them here!
Blessings to you
Kringle

Kim said...

Oh this is so funny. I love that you have created this series of stories! You totally should write them down. Deaglan is at a point where he is starting to really throw tantrums when we don't give him something he wants. It's hard to try to teach him that he needs to ask in a different way. Much easier to give in sometimes:(